If you ever bought a home, or if you are thinking about buying a home, you likely already know that getting a home inspection is an important part of the process. It can give you key information about the home and its systems. It’s an opportunity for the buyer to get an idea of possible major and minor issues within the home prior to purchasing it.
Our Tips for Buying and Renting a Healthier Home series concludes with valuable insight from home inspector, Cy Porter. He covers many topics including what you can expect during a home inspection, areas to pay special attention to, and tools homeowners can use to help inspect and maintain a home.
If buying a home is in your future, be sure to check out our interview with Cy Porter!
- Why is having a good home inspector such an important part of the home buying process? (0:48)
- What is meant when you say “The cheapest inspection is the most expensive inspection”? (2:10)
- Should you waive your home inspection for a new home or when purchasing a home in a competitive market? (2:58)
- What are the standards of practice in the home inspection field? What are the minimum requirements? (3:50)
- Talk to us about new builds versus older homes. What do you see as the pros & cons of each? (5:50)
- What is important to understand about warranties? (7:27)
- When it comes to roofs and attics, what are some considerations and red flags? (9:57)
- Talk to us about foundations. What are some things you are checking for in various foundations - slab vs. crawlspace vs. basement? (13:49)
- What are considerations when it comes to exterior factors like grading, drainage, sprinkler systems, siding, etc. (15:51)
- What are considerations when it comes to the kitchen? (20:39)
- What are some issues you see in bathrooms and how do you test for them? (22:00)
- What is important to know about heating and cooling systems like HVACs, etc. (24:42)
- More broadly speaking, are there any tools a homeowner or renter can have on hand that can help them keep tabs on their current or future home? (28:28)
- What advice or tips would you give to someone buying a home today? How does someone find a good home inspector? Are there specific certifications, qualifications, etc. to look for? (33:33)
- What are your deal breakers in a home? (37:09)
- What is the craziest home inspection story you can share? (38:20)
- How can people get in touch with you? (40:12)
National Standards of Practice:
Links mentioned in the interview:
Get in touch with our guest:
Be sure to watch our entire Tips for Buying & Renting a Healthier Home Series: