Certain species of mold under certain conditions can create secondary byproducts called mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are a poisonous chemical designed to kill other living things. When mold grows in our buildings or on our food, we have the potential to be exposed to mycotoxins.
In today’s mini class, we discuss mycotoxins and how to test for them in your home.
- What are mycotoxins
- Where are mycotoxins found
- How do mycotoxins develop in the home
- Why is it important to test your home for mold and mycotoxins
- What sampling methods are available to test for mycotoxins
- How to read the lab reports
- Common symptoms of mycotoxin exposure
- And more!
Download Mini Class Slides here.
A few important reminders about testing:
There are no perfect tests.
Each test has specific purposes and limitations.
Testing should answer a question you have about your home and influence your next steps.
Ultimately, testing is just one piece of the puzzle. Any testing should be done in combination with a thorough visual investigation of the entire home taking into account the history of the home and the health of the people in it. A good Indoor Environmental Professional (I.E.P.) can help you with this process. For more information on the role of an I.E.P., check out our resources, here, here, and here.
Additional Mini Classes:
- Testing Options for Your Home: Air Testing
- Testing Options for Your Home: Surface Testing
- Testing Options for Your Home: ERMI Testing
- Testing Options for Your Home: EPA 36
- Testing Options for Your Home: Bacteria Testing with Bonus Q & A!
- Testing Options for Your Home: Developing a Testing Plan to Find Hidden Mold in Any Building